Executive suite view
Huge suite, with a large fireplace in the middle. Exclusive furnishings, dining table, large dressing room. Upon your awakening you can feel like the Roman nobility, looking out of the bedroom that overlooks Piazza Navona. It was pope Innocenzo X Pamphilj, newly elected in 1644, to give the square its spectacular current layout, to properly host the family home. The legendary tradition traces the origin of the Pamphilj family to Numa Pompilio, second king of Rome, to highlight the ancient and noble lineage. The Pamphilj reached their apogee in 1644, when Giovanni Battista Pamphilj was elected pope with the name of Innocent X. This silent, introverted, sometimes gruff, but very intelligent Pope, knew how to exploit his position, both to privilege family interests. , both to enhance some strategic places in Rome. He was also a great patron. Under his pontificate the renovation works of Piazza Navona were made which became the main fortress of the family. Marriage policy has always been an expedient used by the Pamphilj family to strengthen its power.
Over the centuries it was related to some of the noble families of Rome, including the Mellini family, one of the first of popular origins (merchants of the countryside), born in the fourteenth century and emerged weaving plots between civil and clerical power. The union took place in 1482, when Angelo Benedetto Pamphilj married Emilia Mellini. Despite the kinship, a few centuries later, Pope Innocent X Pamphilj, intent on expanding his possessions to transform Piazza Navona into his "Forum", bought the entire palace of the Mellini family, still present here in Via di Santa Maria of the Soul. The building is characterized by the famous Tor Millina (ie the Millini), on which overlook all the suites named in this way, all located in the north-western corner of Palazzo Pamphilj. The tower is crowned with corbels and Guelph merlons. It has the name written in the upper part in large majolica characters and on two of the sides it is still possible to see the remains of a frieze dating back to 1491 with cornucopia and bucrani. Today, the building is one of the rare examples of medieval architecture in Rome.